Saturday, July 11, 2009

More than just a couple of dicks

Two days after reading this article about residents' frustrations about the recent rash of filming in Greenpoint the new Kevin Smith movie, A Couple of Dicks started shooting on my boyfriend's block. After walking 8 miles to and from the Lower East Side the last thing I wanted to deal with was the cameras and the lights right outside the window, so I was relieved to see they were shooting around the corner a couple of blocks away down Nassau. Unfortunately even though the shots were being done with stunt doubles enclosed in cars, it prompted a crowd that extended all the up to our quiet street. Maybe they are hoping to catch a glimpse of Bruce Willis or Tracy Morgan (I thought I saw him from the window last night but from my aerial view it could have just been a black guy in a baseball cap) but honestly I don't think they are even on set tonight.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe Tracy Morgan will do come out in a star-spangled unitard and start doing backflips, but have you ever been a bystander on a film set? It's the most boring of boring. I remember being in D.C. when I was 12 where they were filming the Pelican Brief. Basically we spent 30 minutes watching Julia Roberts running in and out of a building over and over again until she finally rewarded us with a brief turn and wave. This case is far more hopeless. They are filming two blocks down yet for some reason there is a crowd assembled on Sean's roof (he lives on the top floor of a three family building and I can guarantee you none of the people on the roof live in the building, unfortunately all the roofs on the block are attached.) They've been up there for the past hour gazing at a whole lot of nothing, unless you count floodlights. Holy hell.

No comments: