Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bloodletdowning

Saw Watain and Krallice last night at the Knitting Factory. They played with Book of Black Earth and Withered both of which left me underwhelmed, although everyone around me seemed to dig Withered.

Watain

After hearing about all the glorious antics that Watain has exhibited (flinging dead rats on their audience, pig's blood, etc) they were surprisingly unperformative. It still took them about about 20 minutes to set up the stage and I'm not talking amps and drums, I'm talking candleabras and chains. Once the candles were lit they finally took the stage postitioning them in stances that were appropriately evil

Watain

Watain

Watain

Angela dubbed the singer "the little bloody dude" which made me laugh. That was all the stage antics he had, a cup of fake blood which he poured over his face. The wardrobe was pretty awesome although his above the pants chain g-string was a little weird.

Watain

Watain

Apologies for the lack of variation in these pics. I was up in the balconey and there wasn't a better view than the one I had.

Watain

Watain

Watain

And here are some pics of Krallice. They played first and brutalized as usual. Officially my favorite local band and the nicest dudes to play black metal ever. We were talking to Colin and Mick after the show on the balconey while the freshly showered members of Watain grumbled by us. Little known Krallice fact, Mick Barr was a high school track star, to quote him, "I never had to practice or anything. I'd just show up, I was like the Fonz." Metal. Also never heard anyone in a metal band self-describe as "twerpy", way to go Colin.

Krallice
This picture makes me laugh, maybe not a facial expression meant for immortalization.

Krallice

Krallice

Krallice
It's hard to see but the full extension of Colin's headbang (on the left) is pretty epic.

No comments: