Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ride the blade*

The Preacher and the Knife
A miracle has happened. I went to Santos Party House on Monday night and had a fantastic time. I know...I know...I'm slipping from my curmudgeon status. I thought the days when I could get down and let go at a club like that were gone. True, I did bitch about how the smoke machine was aggravating my sinuses and my acid reflux has limited my drink options to straight water (no seltzer, doc's orders...seriously, how do you tell a sober chick she can't drink seltzer? That's like telling an alcoholic she can't drink...well...you get it) but I managed not to be too much of a downer.

The good time had was thanks mainly to my favorite Jewish Leo DJ, Jonathan Toubin, and we sure enough did have a fantastic New Year. Preacher and the Knife played as did the Bellmer Dolls. I didn't get any pictures of the Bellmer boys due to my temporary wave of camera forgettin' retardation, but they wailed through a warm-up set for their upcoming high profile gig opening up for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. So proud of my boys.

Preacher and the Knife are fast becoming one of my favorite local live shows. Daniel is an exemplary leading man and the music is hypnotic, it's not a backing element but a driving force. Incantations both holy and profane with a hint of swamp muck humid sweat, I do declare Preacher and the Knife to be a force.

These pictures are grainy because the amount of smoke being pumped into the room made me unable to use my flash.

The Preacher and the Knife

The Preacher and the Knife

The Preacher and the Knife

The Preacher and the Knife

Will
Will and Natalie ghost dancing

Will

Chuck
Chuck

Keith and Chuck
Keith and Chuck looking rapt-ish

And then after the show...things got dirty and dicey and fun.

Chuck

Bridgette and Chuck

Bridgette


*10 points to whoever gets the title reference

No comments: