Wednesday, August 20, 2008

After the storm it's hot but dry

Nothing like seeing old friends shred in new places

Early Man

Went to Texas, spent a bit of time in Austin, ran into friends I didn't expect to see, didn't get to see other's I'd anticipated on catching up with but such is life. Especially when you are staying in a magical house in the woods with deer having slumber parties in the back yard. Of course like a tool I didn't take pictures of my friends' magical house but suffice to say that my stay in the World of Warcraft fantasy metal suite was pleasant indeed.

Managed to take a dip in the river before I left town though. We took the dog down to the dog run and waded in. I wussed out when I felt little fish nibbling at the tops of my feet. In or out of the water it was beautiful:

Austin
Steps leading down into the water

Austin
The view

Austin
Roots...radical

Ozma
The lovely Ozma, who was too wild to be let offleash

We bailed on Austin a day early and drove to Dallas where Early Man and Valient Thorr were playing. Nothing like seeing bros rage in a different time zone.

Early Man

Early Man

Early Man

Early Man
These little dudes ruled. They stood front and center during the entire set pretty much motionless. The look on their faces was if they were politely listening. They were obviously stoked but they had a very passive way of showing it. Quiet reverence and Early Man aren't too things I frequently put together.

Early Man
So much hair...

Early Man
Caught in mid-shred

I didn't take any pictures of Valient Thorr. My camera was about to die and I was too busy keeping Pete company at the merch table. But holy hell, those dudes rocked far heavier than I remember them ever having before. I hadn't seen them in two years and it was great to keep company with the hardest working band in rock n roll (at least that I have the pleasure of being acquainted with.)

Herbie w/ fans
Herbie with fans with homemade Valient Thorr shirts

Herbie w/ fans
Summon the beast my children

Herbie w/ fans
Nothing like watching a friend sign autographs...such a weird weird thing

And then...somehow...this picture happened:
Enter the realm

No comments: