Monday, August 25, 2008

The mighty may they fall

Hetfield in Milan
From Brendan

I saw Metallica play at Ozzfest on the 9th. Much discussion was had as to what songs we wanted to hear most. Brian wanted Creeping Death. I crossed my fingers for Orion but knowing it would not come named Sanitarium as my #1 want to hear it track. They opened with Creeping Death and played Sanitarium third...majorly exciting, but also kind of a let down. After they play your dream songs, what do you have to look forward to? In our case it was a large bulk of songs from the Black album. Crowd pleasers, greatest hits, you know the drill, but at least while we were there we only had to suffer through on post-black track, Cyanide from their new album. It was pretty wretched, far too much hardcore bass slapping for Metallica's sake.

But I made friend with the woman sitting in front of me. Her name was Jenni Jones and she was with her daughter and her mother. Three generations of metal at Ozzfest. She'd gotten in because she had gotten a call from her temp agency asking her to work at the Pizza Hut stand (Ozzfest was at a plcae called Pizza Hut Park btw) and they'd told her she could stay and watch the rest of the show when her work was finished as long as she wasn't in the crowd in her uniform. She wasn't even allowed to take in her wallet much less a bag (security was gnarly enough for us, I am sure they treat their temp workers like dogs) so she made her son-in-law take off his shirt and let her wear it.


Ozzfest

Jenni was totally amped during the entire Ozzy set and then went totally apeshit (note to self...use that phrase more) (another note to self don't make notes to self w/in blog entries, it's self-congratulatory and is almost as bad as copy and pasting your IMs) during Metallica.

Ozzfest

In between the two she showed me the two shirts her family bought her (she was at their mercy since she couldn't bring in cash with her.

Ozzfest

Ozzfest

In other late-breaking Ozzfest news:

Ozzfest
You can't tell from the picture very well but that is a Dimebag tattoo on this guy's chest.

Ozzfest
I know it's cheesy but I totally have a lady boner for Zakk Wylde and his shredability. Dude is a viking personified and he is from New Jersey! Plus he named one of his kids, Hendrix Halen Michael Rhoads after "Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Mike Piazza, and Randy Rhoads" or so Wikipedia tells me.

Ozzfest
There were a fucking lot of people there.

Ozzfest
When I told my new friend I was supposed to have met Lars she sighed and told me she was more of a Hetfield woman. I said I wasn't a Lars girl, he was just the most sociable of the lot and that of course I was a Cliff Burton girl in this life and into his next one and she just looked confused. Said, "Oh, he's the guy who isn't in the band any more, right?" It was my turn to sigh and said, "Yeah, something like that..."

No comments: