Thursday, December 25, 2008

I can't help it

I'll always be rooting for Mickey Rourke and I'm not even sure why. Maybe it was that endearing pile of overwrought crap, Angelheart (which I totally love btw), maybe it was the pictures of him spending Fathers Day afternoon at a strip club, but after watching the Wrestler tonight I have to say, it's solidified now.



Being an avid reader of Dlisted I am usually informed as to celebrity shenanigans. I'll use the excuse of being a cultural studies major as my justification for being a pop culture junkie. I totally freaked out when I saw this post about Rourke. The train wreck was so intense it was almost beautiful.


You can see all the pics (highly recommended) at Splash

Regardless of your Rourke leanings, I encourage you to see The Wrestler. I was captivated by the whole film. Rourke was amazing and having grown up in the high time of 80s pro-wrestling, I felt the nostalgia hard. Also, Marisa Tomei was amazing (and looked incredible...44, wtf!) I almost cried like three times during the movie which is a lot coming from me. Nothing makes me cry. Not even Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 (okay, I think Sam was the only person who cried during that.)

I dunno, I don't write film reviews. But I just wanted to share. The movie was amazing. And if Mickey Rourke even just gets nominated for an Oscar, something will be very right with this world. It would be one of the most amazing pop culture moments ever.

Oh plus Todd Barry and Judah Friedlander are both in it.


Also, I freaked out when I saw this sign in the movie. I didn't know there was a pro wrestler called Necro Butcher and that Rourkes character was fighting the actual dude in the movie. I totally thought it was a Mayhem reference. Shows what kind of nerd I am.

No comments: