Thursday, March 12, 2009

Back in partial effect

Dead Monkey

We knew it was time to leave Barbados when we saw a dead monkey on the side of the road on our way back to the apartment where we were staying to pack up.

It took me 27 years to leave North America. Shameful, I know, but I have the bad habit of spending all my money on food and clothing and never saving a dime for any substantial travel. My trip to Alaska last summer was a big deal, but before that most travel was limited to the lower 48. I went to Canada once and thanks to Tino I was so drunk I don't remember getting on the plane and just found out that apparently I went to Lit after Max Fish that night, something I also have no memory of...probably for the better. They almost didn't let me into the country, but that's a story I've already told. When I was twelve I went to Mexico with my mom and another friend and her mother. It was my first experience ever getting cat-called on the street. It was creepy and awesome for a chubby preteen Nebraska girl. We also rode a bus that was playing Over the Top. My memories are pretty limited because it was a rather touristy and tame trip. And I probably blocked out the drive, Nebraska to Monterrey, pretty hellish.

As far Barbados, I don't even know where to begin. It was amazing. We originally planned on staying for six days, being back in time for the Pentagram show, but after careful consideration (and a wicked sunburn covering the entire back side of my body) we decided to put in a few more days in paradise. I took hundreds of pictures and have nearly as many stories I'll post in the days to come. I'm still recovering being back in the city. My body and mind aren't quite ready to unrelax, I don't want to get out of the island grove. 82 degrees every day, sunny as hell, clean air, white sand, emerald water, I mean come on. Some places are tourist destinations for a reason. But strangely there were almost no Americans. Almost all the visitors were British and if not from the UK then from Canada.

So here I am, back in the real world: no job, my pants fit a little tighter and my chest is still peeling. I think I gave myself diabetes with all the blended drinks and exotic shandies and sodas I consumed while there. Somehow knowing I missed a late-season blizzard in New York City while I was there makes everything a little bit better. That and I know spring is just around the corner but its hard to go back to hoodies when you were walking around in sundresses.

Crane Beach

I mean come on, bikini, sand, pyramid sunglasses, and a ginger shandy next to my beach chair.

Stay tuned, there is so much more to come.

No comments: