Friday, May 16, 2008

Memorial Day Weakend

For the first time in the history of my working life I have Memorial Day weekend off. That shit never happens when you work in retail, but god bless Judi Rosen, we are closed Memorial Day weekend and the 4th of July weekend...hell yeah!

I am adapting to my new existence as a weekend warrior. I am managing The Good The Bad & The Ugly doing all their PR, web sales, and displays. I've never been a proper manager and I find it hilarious that I manage two people...wow, what power! Still it feels good to be trusted with someone's business. I mean I'm not an asshole, I just never got promoted before at my old jobs because I was in school, in a band, touring, and...oh yeah...a huge drunk.

hahahahaha

municipally wasted

smilingheadlock

100_0345

Minot, SD

100_0689

whoa rough

Wow, that last picture...a few months later I was making out with a dude in my room and he knocked over a lamp with a bare bulb. It fell on the bag and we didn't notice until we smelled something burning and realized the heat from the lightbulb burned a hole through the bag. I didn't realize until after I moved out of that sublet that I had in fact burnt the floor and warped a pile of records the bag had been sitting in front on. Gavin Russom, the person I had been subletting from called me and asked if there had been a fire in the apartment while they'd been away. I immediately knew what he was talking about and my stomach sank. There is nothing you can do in that situation but tell the truth, no matter how humiliating it may be. I lost the majority of my $750 deposit replacing multiple rare records and repairing the floor.

One of the above pictures was taken on the Battletorn tour when I was drinking every single night. My first night on the road earned me the nickname "Sister Swagger" and it went downhill from there. It's the picture with Walter, Matt, and me sitting in the back of a pickup truck. It was taken in Minot, North Dakota. I look so terrible, so bloated and unhealthy. I can joke about it now, but when I came home from that tour my pants didn't fit me anymore. I gained about 15 pounds in a month and it took a long time for my body to recover from that abuse, and my relationship with my bandmate never did recover. Harsh.

Anyway, I'm in charge of someone's livelihood and am not scared about it. It's a good feeling. Looking back, I get it. I know why I wasn't ever a manager at Beacon's Closet. Maybe the constant hangover puking in the bathroom, showing up still drunk reeking of vodka had something to do with it. Who knows?

I got an invitation from a friend to go to a house upstate for the weekend. All I want to do is run around in the woods and sit in front of a fire. Far away from beer-soaked memories and city walls.

1 comment:

brendan donnelly said...

mmmeeemmmoooriiieeeess...


was a pile. will always be a pile